Kolonaki Square is a small square in the center of Athens built in 1870 and is considered the heart of the district of Kolonaki. Its original name was Vasilissis Olgas Square. Later it was named Kolonaki square and its current official name is Filiki Etairia square, in honor of the contribution of Filiki Etairia to the liberation of the Greeks from the Ottoman occupation.
The square includes trees, busts of the members of the FilikiEtairia, Skoufas, Tsakalov and Xanthosas well as the ancient marble column, with a height of about 2 meters, after which the whole district was named. The column was found in the area of the square in the 19th century, and at that time it was believed that it protected the area from epidemics and natural disasters.
The square is located between Skoufa, Kanari, Tsakalov, PatriarchouIoakeim, NeophytouVamva, Koumpari and Kapsali streets. Despite being small, the squarehas a long history. In the square and in the surrounding streets visitors will find cafes, restaurants and shops.